Howdy Ya'll!

Welcome, and thanks for reading my blog! The experiences I'm sharing here are a random assortment of all the new and exciting adventures I find myself going on in this amazing city. It's a new day, a new world, a new life...and all it takes is a little moxie. So come along for the ride...It's sure to be thrilling!

Moxie: The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's For Dinner?

An afternoon (or 3) by the pool
A sunburn :(
A trip to the Farmer's Market
A morning spent planting flowers
An afternoon spent sneezing :(
A crawfish boil...
Yep, I'd say it's officially spring! Alert the masses!

Let me just say how much I love the Farmers Market.  On beautiful spring days there are tons of people down there enjoying the amazingly fresh food, the craft vendors, th flowers, the random performances that happen in the square (this weekend's was traditional aztec dancers), and even the little old italian couple who run "Old World Sausage" who's line is always wrapped around the building. It's just a great place to spend time outdoors...and not to mention the free samples! It's like Olive Garden's slogan: Come Hungry, Leave Happy.


Speaking of food...I suppose I owe you all an update on my new year's resolution. 
It's been going surprisingly well...I've successfully cooked hamburgers, kabobs, french bread pizza, and even fried catfish for the first time in my life! (though it's still better when dad does it for me)

But even though I'm enjoying my fresh-cooked meals I still enjoy a good meal out every once in a while, so I thought I'd give you a 10-best list of my favorite restaurants in Big D for your mouth-watering enjoyment :)

In an effort to keep this post under novel-lenth, here are the first 5 of my list:

1. Babe's Chicken - You'll wait for hours to get in but these old-barn-turned-restaurants are worth the wait.  No menus, just pick your chicken and the rest comes family-style for the whole table while you're entertained by the singing waitresses, birthday folk wearing chicken hats, and the general atmosphere of country livin.  Aint nothin better.

2. Scalini's - Little more than a block from my apartment (and about the same size) this whole-in-the-wall italian restaurant is the best place for pizza and pasta (don't forget the "pink" sauce) in Dallas.  They'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

3. Jorge's - Aye Aye Aye that's good mexican food! Salsa, queso, tamales, tacos, they've got it all...and you can't pass up a blood orange margarita from "Nacho" the bartender...He'll do right by ya. Bottom's up!

4. Cafe Brazil - There's a reason this place is packed at every hour of the day with an array of people from teenagers to retirees...They've got great food!  My personal fave place for a Sunday brunch...you can't top the pancrepes (unless of course, you top them with strawberries and whip cream).

5. S & D Oyster Bar - With less than 10 main entree choices on the menu they've narrowed down what they do best and boy do they do it well! This is the place where I first tried fried oyster and I'm not sure I'll ever eat them anywhere else but here.  The choice between fried oysters and their seafood crab dip will stump me everytime I visit...but for sure it'll keep me comin back! Ahoy!

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I go to our farmers market every week. Right now, I am enjoying cheddar cauliflower and purple carrots. Fingerling potatoes are fun too.

    ReplyDelete